Day 17: The Day of Uncomfortable Naps

Today was a travel day. Joy. We woke up and ate breakfast at the hotel, with an indoor courtyard. I learned Dad loves indoor courtyards; he kept raving about how cool this was and how much he wanted that. Anyway after the yummy breakfast, we took our first mode of transportation: a taxi. I know that was a total build up then faceplant. We took the taxi to the train station. We got on the first class cart, so fancy, and got comfortable. We were six people so we took up the whole cart. Yay no sitting next to strangers; I'm not mean, just shy. Anyway, the train was actually pretty comfortable to take a nap on. Unfortunately, I drooled on my shirt and since I hate wearing wet clothes, I had to change shirts, which isn't horrible just not the best.

After the train to Tangier,  we took a taxi to the ferry station, where we took a ferry to Algeciar (I think that's how you spell that). The ferry was super crowded and you had to be really pushy. I was not a big fan of that; to clarify I mean the crowds, the pushing is right up my alley. Kids pushing is bad always use your words. Anyway, we finally got seats in the cafeteria. I was pretty tired (I know I already napped, sue me), so I decided to nap on the boat. First chair I napped in was very uncomfortable and I think it injured my butt because it was so hard. Then I tried to sleep on the comfy chairs, but the stupid metal armrests are not moveable, making it really hard to lay across the seats and not have metal digging into different body parts. The ferry was only about an hour so not too long. Getting off the ferry was a total mess. It was double crowded because everyone was trying to get their bags. Very chaotic. We all worked to get our bags then was kinda like follow the leader/every man for themselves. So to sum it up, it was chaotic and pushy.

After we got off the ferry, we took a taxi to the border of Gibraltar, and walked across the border. It was super nice weather and a beautiful sunset while we walked across. This whole time, during the border cross, Dad was very much embracing his inner fangirl about Gibraltar. We took some selfies at the border, airplane runway and with the rock. We navigated our way to the hotel and checked in. Since Gibraltar is owned by the British, there's a lot of brits around. I learned that they all seem to have sticks up their butts. No one smiled or seemed happy to be there, but they got the job done so its okay. When we got dinner and checked in, we finally went to bed and passed out straightaway.


Sleeping on the train


Margo drinking on the ferry


Tangier


Gibraltar rock


Ferry

Comments

  1. i did not know about emory's complete intolerance for wet shirts. we are in the train station, looking around at all the schedules and boards, trying to figure out how to get to gibralter. i looked down and emory is sitting on the floor, criss cross apple sauce, in the middle of throngs of people in algeciras spain, with one shirt halfway on and the other halfway off. she is furiously fighting her way out of the shirt without exposing herself, sees me looking at her, pauses, exasperated, and exclaims, "what? i drooled a lot! i can't stand wet shirts!" and that is how we spent the first ten minutes after our majestic crossing of the strait of gibralter.

    in other news, i had three drinks on the ferry ride over. the ferry ride was only an hour and a half, but it was an hour in port waiting for... nothing? before we left. so these are like the first drinks i've had in weeks - the arab countries were dry, now i know what it felt like after prohibition ended.

    gibralter is incredible. awesome. writing this while ON TOP of the actual rock. WITH MONKEYS. sensory overload. more later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know Emory - I think I like your dad's description of the shirt issue baahaaaa! I always have had good experiences with ferry rides - guess not so much in these other countries :-( The picture of the rock is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love indoor courtyards too...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10: The Day of Rest

Day 21: The Day Dad Did the Running Man

Day 12: The Day of Dreams