Day 20: Day of Crazy Fish

Today is our last day in international territory. Next stop is New York. Not the biggest fan of NY, but hey there's cellular and that means more books whenever. Yay. I bet you thought I was going to say something a teenage girl would say. Nope.

Anyway, first thing we did today was not sleep in. But after that, we decided to take a boat tour of the six bridges. Porto is beautiful and so quaint. The weather was great, the city was still waking up and the scenery was awesome. I would totally come back here. Anyway, on our way down to the docks, we passed a tourist shop, the only open shops. I learned that corks, as in wine bottle corks, are something that Porto is known for, so I got a snazzy sweater with writing made from corks. I am so wearing as many of the souvenirs to school as I can. I'll look like some crazy tourist who couldn't decide where to go. Very fashionable.

While we waited for the boat tour, we saw that there was a huge pack of fish below in the water. It was a huge crowd of fish. I decided I wanted to find out what happens when you feed them, so I got a roll of bread and threw some pieces in. One part of the crowd was super violent and totally fighting for the bread. Another, which was the biggest crowd, was super lazy and didn't care about the bread at all. We finished the bread right as we started boarding the boat. The boat tour was really relaxing. The breeze was very refreshing, and there was no smoking smell. I got splashed a bit, but I didn't get too wet so its okay. The view was great, but the sun super sunny, so I had to wear my glasses and sunglasses but my sunglasses don't fit over my glasses so I reversed the look. I probably looked super cool with my glasses on top of sunglasses.

After we finished the boat tour, we went to take the funicular up a hill. It's like a gondola and a rollercoaster mix, but without the stomach in throat part. Dad built up the expectations pretty high for it, but it kinda face planted once it started. Once we got back to the hotel, we got packed and ready for our 7 hour flight. The flight was pretty empty so Dad got us two edge seats with the middle two seats empty. As Kathryn described it, we were the two buns and hoped that the middle sausages stayed empty. Unfortunately, one of the sausages was filled but not both, so I got two seats to myself. We finally arrived in New York. Back in the USA! Party in the USA! Anyway, we got some pizza dinner with Kim, Maria and Margo. It was really weird to be in a place where everybody spoke english. Super weird. It unfortunately still smelled of smoke.

I've already seen New York, but I am still excited to be in the USA again. Although sad that I have to say goodbye to the people I've met on this trip.


Bridge


Crazy Fish


Finally in New York


Phone booth by Dock


Silver dude from Dock 


Another Bridge

Comments

  1. Sad to see this trip end because that means no more "thoughts of Emory" to read every day. I think we are going to have to require you to blog when you get back home. I can't wait to see the glasses on top of the sunglasses look. BTW great job wearing your rubber bands the whole trip and not losing your glasses or Coconut. Of course, Love, Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One time you guys laughed at me wearing sunglasses on top of my glasses. Now you know they are useful. you are welcome to borrow ours when you need them, maybe on your Mongolia trip.
    Glad to know you guys are sound and safe in US territory. Welcome home1 My flowers are waiting for you, also my tofu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. porto is awesome. old school charming architecture, new school funiculars!

    we had to be back for the leg deadline by 11:30, because we had a four hour notice of the next and final leg, leaving for nyc at 3:30.

    so its super interesting, the u.s. flights out of porto are walled off in this one section of the airport. you have regular security, then a separate terminal security, then a separate security for those groups of gates, then more separate security for the specific gates. i have never seen anything like it. it was a full ID and bag search and explosives swipe and interview security every time! it was clearly not temporary, either. portugal definitely wins the best united states ally security award.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, happy/sad. I will miss reading your blog and seeing all of your pictures. What memories you have made and get to share!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10: The Day of Rest

Day 21: The Day Dad Did the Running Man

Day 12: The Day of Dreams