Day 5: Dads E-Bike Obsession Begins

Today we are in Bagan, incase you've lost track, because I definitely have. We did so many scavenges that I can't even try to talk about all of them, mostly because I can't remember all of them right now.

This morning was another early morning, unfortunately. We decided to rent bikes again but instead of regular bikes, Bagan only rents out E-Bikes. This is great since I really did not feel like biking in the heat. As soon as we got the bikes, Dad is raving about how cool the bikes are, how their so practical, etc. To be honest, it was a little scary to ride the bike, but only because I was sitting in the back with my dad, whose never driven one of these, as the driver. Oh also Mother, we went without helmets, but it was Dads idea. But you didn't hear it from me.

We went to a bunch of pagodas and temples with the bike. Some were really fancy and big, while others were more modest and smaller. All of them had a bunch of gift shops and vendors around the pagodas and temples. After visiting all the religion based scavenges, we went into the town. When asking for directions, we met some little boys. They were super cute and funny. You should just go look at the pictures below and you'll see what I mean by funny.

Once we got directions, we ate lunch at Black Bamboo for a scavenges. The food there was very good and refreshing. It was nice to have a meal that was longer than 30 minutes.

After Black Bamboo we went to another restaurant, Weatherspoons, also for a scavenge. There we has a local translate some things for a scavenge. The mans name was Win Tun and he is 39 years old. He wrote Daddy's name in his language and answered some questions about his views on the politics in Myanmar in the last five years. I didn't catch most of what he said for that question, because I don't really like listening to political stuff, but we got it on video so it's okay.

Once we finished interviewing Win Tun, we rented out a horse cart. The horse cart dude driver took us to this super cool lacquerware store called, Golden  nCuckoo. The owner showed us how he made everything, which he did by hand. He used four different materials including bamboo and horse hair. Then he paints lacquer over the piece and once its dry, he will carve a design and paint over the design with another color. Once that color dries, he adds another design and color to create a more detailed design. It takes two months to make each piece due to all the layers and drying. It was super cool and I bought a pretty little animal box thingy.

After a few more scavenges with the horse cart, we decided to smoke some cheroot for another scavenge. It tasted HORRIBLE. So yucky. No one will ever have to worry about me smoking or doing any kind of drug stuff. I did not get how to not breathe in the smoke into your lungs or
something or just get the flavor out of my mouth. It was an overall, not a great experience but at the same time it really solidified my decision to never do any of those yucky drug smoking things. Don't worry Hannah, I won't eat the weed or cheroot or whatever.

Once we returned the horse cart, we used the E-Bike to get back to the hotel. It was so hot by then that the wind, when driving, was hot. Everything was sweating, even my sweat was sweating. At the hotel, we decided to do one more scavenge before our flight to Yangon. We decided to drink some Teyei, which is just moonshine. Also tasted horrible. Even Dad thought it was horrible and bitter. My taste buds may be a bit dead after this trip.

After the stinky moonshine and sweaty waiting, we finally left for the airport. Our flight was about an hour but soon enough we were in Yangon and I was so relieved. We get to stay two nights in Yangon. No moving! For at least two nights. Before we went to the hotel, we decided to be extra and do one


more scavenge. We went to a fish market which was interesting. It was a nice experience but also a stinky and disgusting one. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm squeamish, so seeing all these dead
bloody fish getting chopped up wasn't all too great but it was nice exposure.

Welp that is all for today. Tomorrow will probably be just as busy, so I better get some sleep. I am so excited to not have to worry about packing tomorrow morning.


Trying cheroot


Pretty Pagoda with Coconut


Me driving and E-Bike 


Sweet little boy




Comments

  1. about the helmets. bagan is in the middle of nowhere, all our scavenges were climbing in and out of places, walking all over creation after parking the bike. there was no way we could carry around the helmets and our backpacks. anyway, they didn't have helmets to rent.

    ok, so ebike scooters are the coolest. totally would get mowed over by texas drivers, but really the only way to see rural foreign countries when its a thousand degrees.

    so today my daughter piloted a scooter for the first time. she's a crazy person, she jacked it to 40 mph immediately. i was screaming at her as she peeled off - i had coconut, so she had to come back. then later she smoked a burmese cigar. i thought it was pretty good. she almost three up a lung. i did not imagine that i would be giving her a tutorial on how to smoke. then the moonshine. i think ive lost some vision since taking a swig. what kind of scavenge is that?

    there are over 3000 temples in that little bagan area. southeast asians really like their temples. and they USE them! in america, or the west, its one or maybe two days a week, the attendance of services. these temples, not all of them but certainly quite a few, packed to the gills with serious praying and deference. i think its the shoes. you can't go into any temple with shoes or socks. its like walking into a house. i felt like it was more valuable to go in because i had to go through the work to take off shoes/socks to get in. maybe the west can start doing that with churches and synagogues to ramp up participation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure if my name is showing up but this is Pamm... Now I have to say I am not sure whose posts are making me crack up more today...Dr. Ying...I so want to meet your kids!!! But my comment today is that I have to see sweat sweating.. did you get a video?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just told the story tonight about my rule with helmets and daddy’s one-wheel—I guess I will let this slide since you had no option. Sydney is jealous that Coconut is getting to experience this all too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are those boys monks? do you know if it is mandatory for the Myanmar boys to be monks for a period of time like in Thailand?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 10: The Day of Rest

Day 21: The Day Dad Did the Running Man

Day 8: The Day of Long Pants